About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Personal Financial Literacy : Wrap Up

Bell Ringer:

We finished up reviewing our STAAR Benchmark using Kahoot.

Lesson Frame:



Lesson:

Yesterday, we played a Kahoot using the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods of payment.  Today, we are wrapping up what we have been doing the past few weeks, by balancing a budget.


I wanted this done online, so I created a Google Form using one of the budget sheets from the above resource.  I also created a spreadsheet like the ones we have used together in class for students to keep their budget.


Finally, I did allow them the use of a calculator.  Students used the task cards that were found in the form to fill out the spreadsheet.  As they determined new balances, they placed them on the form.  

This activity turned out to be quite a challenge for some.  

Close:

Explain how to balance a budget.

As part of this activity, the final few tasks resulted in a negative balance.  I asked students to think about what they would do to help the Sosa's balance their budget.

Assignment:  Think Through Math 

There was not additional assignment, I didn't want students panicking!  After they finished the budget, they worked on Think Through Math.


No comments:

Post a Comment