About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Mathematical Art: Day 4 (Modern Art Maths cont)



We are continuing our look into how mathematics and art actually go hand in hand.  Once again, I visited the site "Artful Maths" to find inspiration.  The activity I chose is called Modern Art Maths.


Today we are creating art pieces using squares of colored paper.  Essentially, they are creating visual models of rational numbers.  Once the art work is completed, we will reinforce the concept that a fraction is a decimal and a decimal is a fraction, by finding the fraction, decimal, AND percent of each color used.

I changed things up a bit today.  Instead of giving them a 10x10 grid, they were working with an 8x8 grid.  When the art was completed, we used calculators to find the decimal equivalents for the fractions created.  I wanted to show how finding the decimal (rounded to the 100ths) gives them the information they need for the percent and amount of money.

Classes were shorter today as we had the Science STAAR this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment