About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Math About Me

Bell Ringer:

To welcome my students to math, I wanted them to think about their upcoming year in math class.  So, I gave them a few sentence starters in order to learn a little more about them:

  • I am excited...
  • I wonder...
  • I am nervous...
  • I wish we could...
Lesson Frame
  • We will discover that we can use math to describe ourselves.
  • I will create a page that describes me, using math facts, to share on Flipgrid tomorrow.
Lesson


We began our lesson by playing a game called "Eliminate Number Game."  Basically, the students answered a few questions that related to them that could be answered with numbers.  Using these answers we played an elimination game with the last one standing declared the "winner."

Next, I explained the Math About Me activity I wanted them to complete.  They were to think of 5-6 math facts about themselves and display them on a graphic organizer.  To help them visualize it, I created an example using myself:


Students had an option of three different graphic organizers on which to display their information.  I found them on edhelper.com.  One was the picture frame (shown above), I also found a 5 petaled flower, and a hand.

I also showed students the Flipgrid activity that we will be using tomorrow.  In order to use Flipgrid, students have to have parental permission, so I sent the letter home to be signed and hope to use Flipgrid tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment