About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Adding and Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators using Models: Problem Solving: Assessment

Lesson Frame:

  • We will represent and solve addition and subtraction of fractions with unequal denominators.
  • I will solve problems involving adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators using models.
Assessment


As usual, I found helpful resources on Teachers Pay Teachers! I used this one as an assessment. I took screenshots of each problem and placed them within a Google Form. Once the form was ready, I created a Screencastify video of the assessment for my students who have a 504 accommodation for a read aloud. I placed both on Google Classroom for easy access. I also included the video I had created of the Butterfly Method.

I explained that sometimes the model we are supposed to use to help us solve a problem only confuses the issue. So, if you know you are adding or subtracting fractions with unlike denominators and the model isn't helping, then use the Butterfly Method.

Think Through Math

Any time students had once they completed the assessment the students spent on Think Through Math. I am so pleased with the accomplishments they are starting to achieve. They are no longer afraid to try something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment