About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Simplifying Fractions: Ladder Method

Bell Ringer:  SET Game



Lesson Frame:

  • We will learn to simplify fractions using the ladder method.
  • I will explain the importance of reducing a fraction to its simplest form.
Lesson:
Image result for simplifying fractions ladder method

We began our lesson by adding this graphic to our math journals and looking at the steps.  In an effort to make the math a little more interesting, I found a "Fraction Skills: Monster Mystery Pictures" activity on Teachers Pay Teachers.

5th Grade Math Centers: 5th Grade Fraction Activities (Color by Number)

We used the simplifying fraction monster mystery picture from this purchase to practice working with simplifying fractions using the ladder method.  I didn't want to overwhelm my students with too many problems, so I have divided the 24 problems into sets of 6 which we will complete over the next four days.


To save on copies, I took screen shots of each of the first 6 problems and put them into a Google Form.  Students will turn their work in daily through a form, then they will use the answer document provided to document the answer and color needed on their mystery picture.

Closure:

I included the closure on the Google Form as a paragraph answer.  The prompt was:

Explain how reducing a fraction to its simplest form is helpful to you when working with fractions.

Assignment:  Fifth Grade Builder #17

No comments:

Post a Comment