About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Snowflake Geometry: Cutting the Snowflake

Bell Ringer:  Which One Doesn't Belong

Screenshot 2017-01-09 at 6.57.34 PM.png

Lesson Frame:



Lesson:


Today we cut out snowflakes!  I began by giving each student a hexagon.  We folded it into a trapezoid, then we folded it into a rhombus, and finally we folded it into an equilateral triangle.  I find it so funny that my fifth graders get really excited about their designs.  They really enjoyed the mystery!

Close:

Cutting snowflakes took a little longer than expected!  I knew they were serious about cutting when there was complete silence for 10 minutes!  We mounted the snowflakes onto black construction paper with glue dots (aargh!), but by then, time was up!  So I am saving the Diamonte poem until tomorrow (I can't wait).

Assignment:  Countdown to STAAR 5.2.2 


No comments:

Post a Comment