About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, August 28, 2017

Capturing Kids Hearts/Think Through Math Intro


I spent a good portion of my morning working on the Social Contract with my homeroom.  We used a slightly difference process this year, but the outstanding results were the same!

The majority of my class time was given to learning about Think Through Math.

Lesson Frame:
  • We will learn about our use of Think Through Math this year including earning rewards as we work through the program and setting goals to ensure our success.
  • I will support the idea that having a growth mindset will help us succeed when working on Think Through Math.
Lesson:

We began our lesson by revisiting our discussion of Fixed vs. Growth mindsets and discussing our courage zone.  At this point I began discussing how we will use Think Through Math this year. Before everyone's mind shifted back to a fixed mindset, I wanted to explore all of the rewards students can earn and they progress through the program.


On the Think Through Math site, as you work through a lesson you earn points for every correct answer.  On TTM there are multiple ways to spend your points:

    • Avatar customization - individual
    • Classroom goals - team
    • Charities - individual
Not only can students earn points and spend them online, there are a plethora of rewards students can earn in the classroom.

Screenshot 2017-08-26 at 2.25.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-08-26 at 2.27.10 PM.png
Screenshot 2017-08-26 at 2.28.55 PM.png

Next, we moved into writing our first SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time Based) goal using Think Through Math.  My example for them was:

Mrs. Dittrich’s SMART goal:

I want to have 90% of my students to pass their first 5 TTM lessons by September 29 (the end of the 1st 6 weeks) so I will monitor their progress and work with them in order to meet my goal.

Students wrote their goals and we posted them.

Close:
  • Support the idea that having a growth mindset will help me succeed when working on Think Through Math.

No comments:

Post a Comment