About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Conversation Hearts: What's In the Box

Bell Ringer:

We continue our spiral review each day.  I am focusing on the types of problems that typically give my students the biggest issue on the STAAR test.  I am hoping that daily exposure will make these problems come more easily!

Lesson Frame:



Lesson:

We began by estimating how many conversation hearts are in a single box.  I used the site Estimation180 to pose the question.



Next, I posed today's problem


In order to answer these questions, we needed boxes of Conversation Hearts.  I passed one box to each student.  Next we needed to organize and count our hearts like it was shows on Estimation180.  We began by gathering Individual Data.  We posted our data onto a document first, and then onto a classroom spread sheet.



I had formatted the spreadsheet to add each student's total and each color's total.  When all the data was input, I used formatting to determine each color's average and the total number average.


We filled in the class data and then we compared our individual data to the class data.


At this point, we were finished on this activity for the day.  We will continue our research tomorrow using the 5th Grade Data.

Close:  We will CLOSE tomorrow by answering the questions posed in this investigation.

Assignment:  Think Through Math

No comments:

Post a Comment