About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Mathematical Art: Curves of Pursuit



We are continuing our look into how mathematics and art actually go hand in hand.  Once again, I visited the site "Artful Maths" to find inspiration.  The activity I chose is called "Curves of Pursuit".


This was a very cool activity.  We did not use a compass, we only needed a ruler to make the curves of pursuit come out correctly.  I gave each student a sheet of paper that had a square and triangle on the front, and a pentagon and hexagon on the back.  I wanted my students to have to opportunity to see how each of these worked.  They were amazed when the  curves made their appearance!

I did take a moment to show the math behind the magic of the pursuit curve.  I took them to the site http://www.mathcurve.com/courbes2d.gb/poursuite/poursuite.shtml.  This site showed them the curve studied by Leonardo da Vinci in 1732.  


No comments:

Post a Comment