About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Computer Lab...Doodle 4 Google...Global Blogging Challenge

Weird, fun, crazy day...


First, my math classes went to the computer lab to work on khanacademy.  I had a few more people master objectives for the Khan Club!
KHAN CLUB

30 mastered skills - join the club
50 members

45 mastered skills - Khan t-shirt
29 t-shirts

60 mastered skills - Invitation to Khan Banquet
14 invitations

75 mastered skills - sit at the head table
5 @ the head table

90 mastered skills - medals awarded
2 medalists

HIGHEST Khan mastered skills - "TOP Khan" award
WHO WILL IT BE?!?!

------------------------------------------------------

At lunch we ate in our classroom and we joined a virtual field trip LIVE with Doodle 4 Google at Google headquarters.  The kids learned about being a Google doodler and a Google engineer (animates the doodles).  Some of my students even participated in the "angry astronaut challenge."  We tweeted their pictures to #Doodle4Google.





Mrs. Whitehead introduced the Doodle4Google challenge that is taking place again this year.  The theme is:  

If I could invent one thing to make the world a better place, what would it be?

We are asking all of the kids to create a doodle to send in to Google for the competition.  The winner receives a $30,000 college scholarship and a day at the Google compound working with the engineers to animate their design!

------------------------------------------------------------------------


Finally, we began our Global Blogging Challenge.  This is an 8 week challenge during which a blog topic will be posted once a week.  Since this was the introductory week, I am giving my classes an "I Am" pattern writing to follow as suggested by the Global Blogging Challenge site.

“I AM” Poem

I am (name)
I wonder (something I am actually curious about)
I hear (a real or imaginary sound I hear)
I see (an real/imaginary sight I see)
I want (something I truly desire)
I am (name)

I pretend (something I pretend to do)
I feel (a physical/emotional feeling I have)
I touch (something you touch)
I worry (something that really bothers me)
I cry (something that makes me very sad)
I am (name)

I understand (something I know is true)
I say (something that I believe in)
I dream (something I might dream about)
I try (something I want to make an effort about)
I hope (something I hope for)
I am (name)

My homeroom was the only class that was able to get their poem posted on kidblog.org today. Mrs. Whitehead's class will tomorrow and Mrs. Johnson's will on Friday. To see the posts from Mrs. Dittrich's class, go to:  


The challenge is to find blogs from another school system and leave a comment.  Tomorrow we will attempt to visit another classroom via their blogs and leave a comment.  We are hoping someone will visit our blogs and do the same!


No comments:

Post a Comment