Today was a continuation from our learning yesterday. We practiced adding and subtracting fractions by:
- finding the LCD (least common denominator)
- creating equivalent fractions
- performing the operation (addition or subtraction)
- evaluating our answer to determine if it is in simplest form
- simplifying any fraction not in simplest form by using our GCF (greatest common factor)
To practice, we used a sheet I found in Teacher's Helper from The Mailbox. It was in the Oct/Nov 2011 magazine, The page was titled, "One Clever Cat." I have linked the video (One Clever Cat) showing the first four problems as examples.