About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Geometric Sewing



Every year after taking our Math STAAR test, I like to give the kids a little mathematical art therapy!  I begin with the Kaleidoscopic Octagon which emphasizes reflectional symmetry.  Then, I move into geometric sewing.  Basically, this is line design with string.  

Line designs are geometric patterns formed 
entirely by the use of straight line segments that 
produce the illusion of a curve. 

So, we spent our day today preparing the sewing surface and learning how to thread a needle.  I have found a way that is fool proof, but didn't think to record it today...

Once they had a needle on the thread, they were off!  This is Mrs. Whitehead's class on their first day:







We will continue sewing tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment