About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, May 12, 2014

How to Be a Fifth Grade Math Student


Today, we visited the computer lab for the final blog topic.  I wanted the classes to think about their year as a 5th grade student and share what we have done.

I almost used the writing pattern that goes with the poem "If I Were in Charge of the World" by Judith Viorst.  However, I didn't want it to sound like my students hated everything about math.  If you visit with them, they don't hate math, but there are elements that they are not fond of!

So, I remembered a writing pattern from The Mailbox Magazine.  The example given was "How to Be An African Elephant."  Students were to research something and then express their "like" and "not mind" ideas.  I decided to use this format.  So, we did "How to Be a 5th Grade Math Student."

Before going into the computer lab, we brainstormed some of the math we have done this year.  Then, a student suggested we use our math journals for additional ideas.  To read about being a 5th grade math student, please read through our blogs at:


I did not assign any math homework this evening.  I have some students who will be retaking the STAAR math test tomorrow and just didn't think they needed homework!




No comments:

Post a Comment