About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Decimal Operations: Multiplication Would You Rather


With our decimal multiplication today, I posed the Would You Rather question: 


I posted this activity on Google Classroom along with a Google Doc for the 3 Act Math information.

Using the information given from the prompt, students soon discovered that the plans were of equal value, with the exception of Option E.  It was a total savings of $.01!  We even discussed the fact that trading in your phone early saves you no money, you are still expected to pay the entire amount!

During the process of multiplying, I wandered the room to ensure success.  I found common multiplication errors, forgetting to bring down the zero, but I also saw misalignment errors.  Students want to line up decimal points when multiplying!





No comments:

Post a Comment