About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Adding and Subtracting Mixed Number: Rotation Day A

Lesson Frame:
  • We will add and subtract mixed numbers.
  • I will add and subtract mixed numbers.

Group 1 & 4:  Teacher Time


These two groups began working on a math sort that required them to add and subtract mixed numbers.  I liked this activity, because it required them to:
  • Creating equivalent fractions to create common denominators
  • We converted mixed numbers to improper fractions.
  • We may have needed to use the Butterfly method.
  • We converted improper backed to mix.
  • We looked at our mixed numbers to determine if we could simplify, which included using
    • divisibility rules
    • prime numbers and multiples
    • common factors.
Group 2 and 3:  Khan Academy


This group worked on solving problems involving addition and subtraction of mixed numbers.  I explained that they were free to watch the videos created by Khan Academy, however, they needed to understand that I am not teaching them in the same way that Khan will.  They are always surprised to find that there is more than one way to solve a problem.  I did attach a few Screencasity videos to their Classroom so that they could watch me solve the problems as an example.

Think Through Math

Every group does have 15 minutes on Think Through Math each day we do a rotation.

Assignment

We completed a Fifth Grade Builder today, but as an exit ticket, I included an addition and subtraction problem that involved mixed numbers.  I just want to see where they are at.

No comments:

Post a Comment