About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Decimals: Place Value, Compare, Rounding, Estimating (1)

Bell Ringer:  Which One Doesn't Belong
Screenshot 2017-01-23 at 5.21.32 PM.png

Lesson Frame:



Lesson:

I am moving into decimals with my students and wanted to do a Pretest to assess prior knowledge.  I chose to do this with a Kahoot.  I used a different type of resource.  It is from the same company that I purchased Countdown to STAAR:



I used a variety of questions from the resource, focusing on place value, comparing, rounding, and estimating.  

Using these questions on a Kahoot allowed me to "test" my kids to see who already knew the information.  The kids from each class who did well, I will have a different activity for them to do tomorrow.  The rest of the kids will continue to play Kahoot individually.  This will make most of them extremely happy.  Even though I always allow time for students to work problems, many still are frustrated when the same five "win".  By taking away those five, students will be much more interested in trying to get problems correct.

Close:

I happened on a free resource from TPT that are Decimal Exit Slips:


I will be using one of these daily as we review decimals.

Assignment:  Countdown to STAAR 5.3.1

No comments:

Post a Comment