About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Angry Bird Project: Getting Reading for the Expo


There were a number of little things that I wanted to get done today.  I began by taking up the students' assessment sheets and having them turn in the change that they had remaining from their budget.  I had kept track of each day's spending by using their order forms.  I knew of any math mistakes and the amount of money that they should still have.  I asked each group to turn in their money making note of any that were exactly right, any that turned in more/less, and any that went over budget.

Next, we got onto Classroom and filled out a form rating the partners.



Then, I asked them to help me out.  I wanted to know if the Angry Bird Project was worth doing again next year.  However, I had to be convinced of the activity's mathematical worthiness.  So, first we brainstormed all of the math that we have used since the beginning of the project (these are some that they came up with):

  • four quadrant coordinate graphing
  • nets
  • perimeter
  • area
  • surface area
  • volume
  • triangle as most stable shape
  • working within a budget
  • creating an order form
  • keeping change
  • measurement 
I had them get back onto Classroom and create a Google Doc. They were to write me a letter attempting to convince me that the project was math class worthy.  The assignment looked like this:




To finish the class, I asked the students to help me create a backdrop for our booth at the Expo on Tuesday.  I wanted it to look like the header at the top of this post, but wanted to have the kids re-create it.  I think it looks fantastic!  Students birds that did not fit on the backdrop will be used to decorate the front of the table at our booth.



To finish the day, we had




Remember, Monday is a school holiday as we 
honor our Veterans.  
Thank you for your service to our country!


No comments:

Post a Comment