About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, November 27, 2017

Welcome Back! Middle of Year Benchmark and Multiply/Divide Fraction Review

Welcome back!  This is the final push to Christmas Break!  It will be completely full of math and hopefully some fun activities!

Bell Ringer:  SET Game

Lesson Frame:




Lesson:

It is that time of year...  the middle... it is time to take our MOY benchmark to assess learning/needs.  I am using the released STAAR test from March of last year.  I have decided to take some of the pressure off by splitting up the assessment into 3 sets of 12 questions.  I did not want my students to stress over the number of problems or the amount of time.  I also am allowing my students to use both their purple folder, which contains a multiplication table, prime and composite table, and the 5th Grade Measurement Chart, along with their math journal that we have created this year.  This is not a "gotcha" assessment for me.  I want to see what they have actually learned so far and get an idea of how they will do.  For those students who are to have tests read aloud, I created a Screencastify for each of the 3 sections.  This allows my students to have the problems read to them and have the ability to rewind and listen as often as necessary.



 Once they completed the 12 questions for today, I wanted to have a little review.  I found this activity on Teachers Pay Teachers.  As usual, I modified it to meet my needs.  So, I split this activity up into 3 sections as well and created Google Forms.  Each day students answer about 10 problems and input their answer into the form AND on the answer sheet I put on the back of the color page.  I never require my students to color the page, so I need to see their answers to determine if true effort was given.

If students had any remaining time, they worked on Think Through Math.

Assignment:

I am not giving any additional assignments this week, I do not want students rushing through the benchmark or the fraction review.

No comments:

Post a Comment