About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Add and Subtract Fractions with Unlike Denominators

Bell Ringer:  101 Questions




Lesson Frame:
  • We will work on adding and subtracting proper fractions with unlike denominators in our rotation groups.
  • I will analyze my own understanding of adding and subtracting proper fractions with unlike denominators and complete a 3-2-1 exit ticket
Lesson:

So, once again, there is a hitch in the get along...  I will not be at school for the next three school days, so I had to change my plans.

Today, instead of working in our normal rotation groups, I allowed my classes to work in their table groups.  They were to solve addition and subtraction of fractions with unlike denominators (using crisscross applesauce), on a Google Form.  I wanted them to work together, and help each other as they practiced.  Sometimes, kids are able to explain something better than I can!  This was a quick check for me as well, to catch any students who are still struggling with the concepts.  Not only are they adding and subtracting fractions, they have to simplify them, and they may have to convert from improper to mixed fractions.

Close:   
3 - 2 - 1 
(Adding and Subtracting Fractions 
with Unlike Denominators)
  • 3 things you have learned.
  • 2 things you find interesting.
  • 1 thing you are still trying to figure out.

Assignment:

Fifth Grade Builder #22

Upcoming:

It is difficult to explain to a sub how to do the things I do in my classroom, so I decided to make it fairly easy on her, but also continue the learning.  So, students will complete work online (that I can monitor while I am away).  Students will should understanding on our current concept using Khan Academy.  My real goal is to have some progress made on Think Through Math.

Thursday:
  • Khan Assignment:  Add Fractions with Unlike Denominators
  • Think Through Math

Friday:
  • Khan Assignment:  Subtract Fractions with Unlike Denominators
  • Think Through Math

Monday:
  • Portfolio Item
  • Think Through Math

No comments:

Post a Comment