About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Adding Mixed Fractions with Unlike Denominators (Day 2/4)

Bell Ringer:  Guess My Number

Guess My Number

Lesson Frame:
  • We will add mixed fractions with unlike denominators using Crisscross Applesauce, simplify using the Ladder Method, and convert  improper fractions to mixed fractions.
  • I will contrast adding proper fractions and adding mixed fractions.

Lesson:

We continued working with adding mixed fractions with unlike denominators.  We used our math journal pages to help with solving:

  • p. 13 - Steps to Adding Mixed Fractions
  • p. 12 - Crisscross Applesauce
  • p. 5 - Prime Numbers
  • p. 11 - Ladder Method
  • p. 9 - Convert Improper to Mixed
My students are doing very well with this!  I am very pleased.  They do still sometimes get stumped due to simplifying or converting, but they are taking the frustration very well!

Close:

Contrast adding proper fractions to adding mixed fractions.  How are they different?

Assignment:

Fifth Grade Builder #24

No comments:

Post a Comment