About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Adding Mixed Fractions with Unlike Denominators

Bell Ringer:  101 Questions

Screenshot 2016-10-25 at 7.18.34 PM.png

Lesson Frame:
  • We will take notes on adding mixed fractions with unlike denominators.
  • I will compare adding proper fractions and adding mixed fractions.
Lesson:

I created this graphic to use as notes for my students.  We placed this in our math journals, and then used the steps to solve problems.  I explained that there was only one new idea:  we needed to add the whole numbers and then somehow manage not to forget to add them at the end!

  • Step 1:  add the whole numbers together and "store" the answer to use later.
  • Step 2:  use Crisscross Applesauce to add the fractions.



  • Step 5:  don't forget to add the "stored" whole number.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

5th Grade Math Centers: 5th Grade Fraction Activities (Color by Number)

We used these steps to solve six problems.  Once again, I used a mystery picture as our assignment.  I have broken the 24 problems into 4 groups of 6, created a Google Form, and included my "close" as the seventh question.  Students will work their problems on notebook paper so that I can help as needed.

Close: 

Compare adding proper fractions to adding mixed fractions.  
How are they alike?

Assignment:

Fifth Grade Builder #23


No comments:

Post a Comment