About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Simplifying Fractions: Rotation Day B (sort of)

Bell Ringer:  Guess My Number

Guess My Number

Lesson Frame:
  • We will simplify fractions in our rotation groups.
  • I will evaluate the importance of prime numbers when simplifying fractions.
Lesson:

Best laid plans ... This was one of those days.  It isn't that anything went wrong, it was just that to succeed today, I needed to remove the rotation element.  So, instead of moving into our rotation groups, students remained at their seats and worked with their table groups.

This allowed students to work at their own pace without the pressure of a 15 minute timer.  Again, students had six problems to solve on their mystery picture (again, on a Google Form) and they were allowed to work as a group.  Once they finished these, they could begin their Khan Assignment:  Simplifying Fractions.

I also took away some pressure by letting them know that we would finish the Khan Assignment tomorrow.

Closure:

Evaluate the importance of prime numbers when simplifying fractions.

Assignment: Fifth Grade Builder #19

No comments:

Post a Comment