About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators using Models




Today we moved into subtracting fractions with unlike denominators using models.  There isn't much to share.  The classes moved through this flawlessly!  The process is exactly the same, so there was no frustration.

I do have students who are using the traditional method as well.  I encourage students to use the method that they are most comfortable with, however, they must be able to explain to me how it works and be successful in finding the correct answer.  This was important today, because I had students who felt that they didn't have to keep the fractions in the same order I had them.  It was an eye opener to them that when you subtract, ORDER MATTERS, yes, even with fractional numbers!

No comments:

Post a Comment