About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, September 25, 2017

Add and Subtract Fractions with Like Denominators: Connect 4

Bell Ringer:  SET Game


Lesson Plan:
  • We will play Connect 4 using addition and subtraction of fraction with like denominators.
  • I will explain why it is useful to convert  mixed numbers to improper fractions when adding or subtracting fractions with like denominators.
Lesson:

Adding fractions with like denominators is a review subject from 4th grade, but there are elements that make this lesson decidedly a 5th grade topic.  I decided that the best way to get my students to multiple problems (happily), I needed to play a  game.  I decided to do a four-in-a-row type game, which was aided by the Bingo Card generator.  This allowed me to generate 30 cards using the same answer choices in no time at all! 

During this activity, students were exposed to:
  • adding fractions with like denominators
  • subtracting fractions with like denominators
  • converting mixed numbers to improper fractions
  • converting improper fractions to mixed numbers
  • learning how to "borrow" from whole numbers to create mixed numbers
  • simplifying fractions
The best part, is that my students didn't mind working this hard, after all, they got a reward for getting four-in-a-row.

Close

Explain why it is useful to convert  mixed numbers to improper fractions when adding or subtracting fractions with like denominators.

Assignment

Fifth Grade Builder #12

No comments:

Post a Comment