About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Prime, Composite, Prime Factorization: Rotation Day C

Bell Ringer:  Guess My Number



Students are given a series of clues to determine a mystery number.

Lesson Frame:

  • We will work on activities that reinforce our understanding prime numbers, composite numbers, and prime factorization.
  • I will analyze a number using divisibility rules to determine if it is prime or composite.
Lesson:


Group 1 spent their first rotation in Content Mastery working on intervention activities. Their second rotation was with me. We did the "cootie catcher" prime, composite, and prime factorization activity.

Group 2 & 3 each completed an activity called "P.C.'s Ideal Job" from The Mailbox Magazine, the rest of the time was spend on Think Through Math.

Group 4 worked with me and the "cootie catchers" and then time on Think Through Math.

Assignment:


I wanted some feedback on how students are doing with prime, composite, and prime factorization, so I created a form with questions for them to solve. I used "Identify Prime and Composite Numbers" from TPT for most of the questions, but supplemented a few of my own questions requiring students to use a factor tree to determine the prime factorization.

Close

I actually included the close within the assignment. I gave my students the number 48 and asked them to determine which divisibility rules worked and if 48 was prime or composite.

No comments:

Post a Comment